Meal prep on a shoestring....Please read and swipe through for hacks.
Let’s face it, competition prep is expensive and bodybuilding nutrition and even just simple healthy eating can be, too.
But there are ways to minimize the financial impact of this current pandemic and still eat well!
I’m grateful for the human ability to adapt (if we so choose, that is!)
1) no time to prep? Pick a day and spend a few hours that will save you time during the rest of the week. No, it won’t go bad. Freeze half the prepped meals.
2) buy mostly real foods (aka not ALL shakes, bars, protein this and that, gluten free this and that unless you truly need it) then supplement only what you need or love from EDUCATED local nutrition shops: they will not up sell you! @undisputed_nutrition @java_supps @mass_muscle_nutrition
3) Peel your own damn carrots, grate cheese instead of buying shredded, grind and pour over or French press your own coffee (kcups are expensive and wasteful) and treat yourself to a cup out front one time time, cut the broccoli tops to cook and chop the stems and toss them in your salad, etc. you get the point.
4) Never throw out leftovers or veggies your kids didn’t eat or anything on the verge of going bad...I turn it into something else: a plant-based stir fry veggie melange supplemented with more expensive fake chicken because well, I can afford it if I take the other shortcuts, pot pie or Shepard’s for the kids, etc.
5) avoid gimmick foods and stick to Whole Foods such as the egg (the perfect protein package) or whole grains and healthier carbs such as barley, brown rice, and sweet potatoes versus amped up low sugar, low sodium, fiber-added bagels and breads. Cheaper, purer and easy to measure out.
6) keep a pantry and supplement meals with canned goods if needed (it is the apocalypse 🤷♀️). Get creative.
I add canned beets to salad for a sweet touch.
7) buy generic. Who cares? It’s still nutrition without the upscale label. Also, eating organic is awesome but I can’t afford it. I’m not dead yet...
I could go on, but if you’ve read this far, I hope I helped and feel free to message me. If you disagree, it’s ok. This works for me, maybe not u